- African Regional Intellectual Property Organisation (ARIPO)
- Organisation Africaine De La Propriété Intellectuelle (OAPI)
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo, Republic of the
- Democratic Republic Of The Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- Gambia, The
- Ivory Coast (Côte D’ivoire)
- São Tomé And Principe (St Thomas And Prince’s Islands)
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- St Helena
- South Sudan
- Tanzania (Comprised Of Tanganyika, Zanzibar And Pemba)
- Tanzania/ Tanganyika
The Republic of Madagascar is an independent state situated in the Indian Ocean off the south-east coast of Africa, separated from the mainland by the Mozambique Channel.
Area: 587 041 km2 (fourth largest Island in the world)
Population: 24,894,551 million
Currency: Malagasy Franc
GDP: $ 40.055 billion (2017)
Internet domain: .mg
Languages: French, Malagasy (official languages)
Working week: Monday – Friday
Exports: Coffee; vanilla; cloves and clove oils; sugar; petroleum products; shellfish
Imports: Intermediate manufactures; capital goods; petroleum; consumer goods; food
Madagascar is a member of the Paris Convention, the Madrid Protocol and the WTO/TRIPS.
Trade mark applications may be filed as national applications, in appropriate circumstances claiming convention priority in terms of the Paris Convention, or the country may be designated in international applications filed in terms of the Madrid Protocol.
Provision is made for the registration of trade marks for goods and for services, and for collective marks.
Madagascar is a member of the Paris Convention, the PCT and the WTO/TRIPS.
Patent protection is available via a national filing. Patent protection may also be obtained by way of a national phase application based on an international application under the PCT designating Madagascar.
Madagascar is a member of the Paris Convention and the WTO/TRIPS. Design protection is available by way of a national filing.
Madagascar is a member of the Berne Convention and the WTO/TRIPS.
The law provides for copyright in respect of all intellectual works, whatever their genre, form of expression or merit, including:
- books, brochures and other literary, artistic and scientific writings
- lectures, speeches, addresses, sermons
- dramatic and dramatico-musical works
- choreographic works, pantomimes
- musical works
- cinematographic and audiovisual works
- works of art, architecture, painting, drawing, sculpture, etc
- graphic and typographic works
- photographic works
- works of applied art or craft
- illustrations and geographical maps
- plans, sketches and plastic works relating to geography, topography, architecture
- software programs
- works of folklore
- translations, adaptations, arrangements of works
- databases or compilations of data.
Plant Breeders' Rights
Currently, no legislative provision for plant breeders’ rights or other sui generis protection for plants is available in Madagascar.