A personal injury lawyer has knowledge of and works within the sphere of healthcare, litigation, and clinical negligence. They provide their services to those who have been injured, experienced physical or phycological damage, or have been wronged by another person. This damage could have been caused to the person, their property, rights or even their reputation. A case can be compiled if the wrongdoing or injury that was experienced was due to the negligence of a third party. This negligence can be performed by a person, company, government agency or other entities.
In this article, we will discuss when you should contact a personal injury lawyer, as well as what types of personal injury claims you can make.
Personal Injury Claims Lawyer: When to Contact One
When incidents occur that cause damage to you it can often have long term repercussions that negatively impact your quality of life. Questions such as how long recovery will take, what the cost will be if you will ever be able to recover, and more. There is also much uncertainty surrounding what the next steps should be in such cases, which is where personal injury lawyers come in. It is advisable to consult a personal injury claims lawyer as soon as possible after the injury takes place as this will ensure increased expediency and ease with which the case is dealt with.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
There are multiple types of personal injury claims that can be made, depending on the type of injury and the circumstances surrounding the incident. Some of these claims include, but are not limited to:
- Road Accident Fund Claims: When claiming from the road accident fund one is making a third-party claim. One can only claim for bodily injuries or the death of a person.
- Transport Injury Claims: These claims relate to injuries that were sustained while making use of transport such as plane crashes, train incidents, etc.
- Medical Claims: These relate to injuries that have been sustained through medical malpractice or negligence.
- Personal Injury Claims Against the Police: If a person is injured or wrongfully arrested and/or detained by the South African Police or other law enforcement agencies, the South African law a allows a wronged party to claim for damages. In addition to this, victims of brutality in the hands of the police or any other law enforcement agency can claim. .
- Animal Injury Claims: These claims relate to injuries that have been caused by domestic animals and the claim will be laid against the animal’s owner.
- Public Injury Claims: When an injury occurs in a public space such as a shopping centre, and the cause was due to the negligence of another party (e.g. owner, employees, agents, etc), the injured party can sue for damages. the public space, then a valid claim can be made.
- Claims against Organs of the State – these would include claims against various government departments; Municipalities, etc.
Personal Injury Lawyers in South Africa
At Adams and Adams, we can offer assistance with all of the aforementioned personal injury claims. We provide our clients with a highly skilled and experienced team that can ensure matters are handled with care and accuracy. To find out more about how we can help you with your personal injury claim, contact our team.