Secretarial Training Academy
What do we do?
Although the structure of the course has changed since its inception, the aim is still to provide the best possible training to enable these candidates to be immediately employable at the end of the training in any secretarial position.
Only twelve candidates are selected annually after passing a thorough computer, keyboarding and linguistic skills test.
How do we do it?
During the first 5-6 months typing/keyboarding skills are developed, with an introduction to the legal environment and working life in general. Only those trainees who have excelled during this phase will be able to continue with Phase II, which is more advanced and prepares the trainees for the work environment, concentrating on typing speed, advanced audio typing, spreadsheets and presentations, as well as other essential secretarial skills, such as proficient note-taking, writing letters and memos, taking initiative and responsibility, and preparing all kinds of relevant correspondence.
The best student on the course receives an accolade for performing well academically, and for excelling in all areas of the training. By portraying a positive attitude, this student contributes to enhancing the image of Adams & Adams.
What is the content of the course?
- Computyping (including MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint skills)
- Typing speed (goal is 60 wpm),
- Audio Typing
- Basic Accounting
- Legal Theory
- Basic English – writing, reading, comprehension and advanced spelling
- Written and spoken English for business purposes
- Professional image and grooming
- Telephone etiquette
- Time management
- Financial planning
- Life skills
- Practical training – administrative and secretarial
- Business Administration Services Qualification:
- Module 1: Administration processes
- Module 2: Information and communication
- Module 3: Work in an office
- Module 4: Problem solving and admin
- Module 5: Teamwork
Who should apply?
Anyone from a previously disadvantaged background who is interested in becoming a secretary in the legal environment, specifically intellectual property.
This course is aimed at young people (18 – 26 years of age only) and is aligned with the Government Youth Development Initiative.
What are the application requirements?
- Aged between 18 and 26 years
- Matric certificate with Computer Applications Technologies; or
- A post matric qualification with Typing or Keyboarding and MS Office applications, with a minimum of 25 wpm
- Fluency in English – both written and verbal skills are important; a C-symbol (between 60% and 69%) is advantageous
How can you apply?
Click on the link below to access the vacancy list of the firm, look for the Secretarial Trainees posting and click on the Apply now button. Upload your CV, a copy of your ID document and copies of all relevant certificates obtained. PLEASE SEND YOUR CV AND THE RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AS ONE ATTACHMENT / DOCUMENT. Please ensure that your application is complete. No incomplete applications will be considered.
What does it cost?
Trainees receive the training at no cost to themselves and will receive a stipend for participating in the learnership. All we require is a willingness to be trained and be prepared to work under pressure for the duration of the course.
APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN BETWEEN 01 OCTOBER AND 01 DECEMBER ONLY FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR’S COURSE. THE ADVERTISEMENT MAY BE WITHDRAWN AT ANY TIME.
Please be advised that this is a 12-month full-time “hands-on” course and can be very demanding both mentally and physically.
How can we help you?
We have offices in Pretoria, Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban, please contact your nearest office for any legal enquiry or assistance.