The Loeries® Creative Week™ Durban 2016 drew to a close on Sunday 21 August 2016 at the Durban International Convention Centre with a raft of awards honouring the best creative work in the Africa & the Middle East being presented, along with four special awards.
A total of 316 awards were handed out over the two nights selected from 3112 entries from 22 countries across the Africa Middle East region. There were eight coveted Grand Prix winners with Nando’s the big winner of the awards scooping two.
The full list of Grand Prix winners include:
- Nando’s “Global Visual Identity System”, by Sunshine Gun
- Tusker Lager’s “Team Kenya”, by Net#workBBDO
- Channel O’s “Youth Day” by Black River FC
- Nando’s “Chicken Run” & “Heartfelt Celebration of South African Design”
- KFC’s ‘’The Everyman Meal’’, by Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg
- Saudi Telecom Company – STC, “1st Branded Online Entertainment Hub” by J.Walter Thomspon KSA
- Chicken Licken’s “Kung Fu” by Network BBDO
- Ster-Kinekor’s “#OpenEyes” by Fox P2
Commenting on the standard of work Jury President Laura Jordan-Bambach Creative Partner, Mr President London said, “We have seen some beautiful pieces of work that have the spirit of a very modern Africa and the broader region; very different to what you see elsewhere and it doesn’t feel like it was made in London or New York“.
The full awards are broken down as follows:
Judged by 160 local and international experts in their fields, including international jury presidents Bridget Jung (Sydney), Susan Credle (New York city) Jimmy Smith (Los Angeles) and Laura Jordan-Bambach (London), the coveted Grand Prix, Gold, Silver and Bronze Loeries® statues remain the industry benchmark for creative excellence.
The Adams and Adams Young Creatives Award went to Katie Mylrea, art director at Ogilvy & Mather Cape Town and Amori Brits, head of design at Shift Joe Public who each received R60,000 and a South African Airways flight to New York City. The Loeries® Creative Future Scholarship went to four young Kwa-Zulu Natal Grade 12 students, Londeka Gumede, Roxanne Schoon, Mali Khuzwayo and Samkelisiwe Faku to study at Vega School of Brand Leadership and the Design School South Africa.