Alexis ApostolidisPartner | Patent Litigation
Head of Competition Law Group
Areas of Specialisation
- Patent and Design Litigation (Life Sciences; Agrochemical; Automotive; IT; Consumer Products)
- Drafting of Chemical, Pharmaceutical and Petrochemical related patent specifications as well as mechanical type inventions.
- Regulatory (Life Sciences and Agrochemical)
- Competition Law including mergers and acquisitions & specialising in the interface between Competition Law
Alexis Apostolidis is a partner in the patent litigation practice of Adams & Adams and heads the competition law department of the firm. He is well versed in all aspects of patent law and specialises in opinion work and patent litigation in the life sciences, agrochemical, petrochemical, IT and consumer goods sectors. He has successfully litigated on behalf of originator pharmaceutical companies, OEM German car manufacturers, banks and television content providers. Alexis’ practice also extends to litigation concerning design registrations, the commercialisation and licensing of IP and regulatory matters in the life sciences sector. He advises and represents clients in litigious work in a number of African countries.
Alexis is also a leading expert on the interface between competition law and intellectual property in South Africa and Africa, having dealt with the competition law aspects of the enforceability of intellectual property rights to the Supreme Court of Appeals in South Africa. He has represented clients both before the South African Competition Commission and Competition Tribunal. His experience in various sectors and the dynamics thereof and his commercial law experience stand him in good stead in competition law related matters.
- Postgraduate Degree European Competition Law (With Merit) – Kings College, University of London | 2012
- LLB (Cum Laude) – University of Witwatersrand, SA | 2002
- BSc (Chemistry and Law) – University of Witwatersrand, SA | 1999
- Qualified Patent Attorney | 2004
- Admitted Attorney | 2002
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- SA Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: Patent & Design Law Committee Member
- SAIIPL: Convenor of Judgment Reporting Group – Public Affairs Sub-Committee
- SAIIPL: Ad Hoc Competition Law / Franchising / Consumer Protection Committee Member
- Best Lawyers: Competition Law – South Africa | 2019 – 2020
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Litigation (Silver) | 2017 – 2020
- IFLR – Patent Expert Guide – Experts for Patents | 2019
- Law International Global Awards – IP Lawyer of the Year South Africa | 2018
- Lawyer International Legal 100 – Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Sector |2018
- Lawyer International Legal 100 – Intellectual Property Lawyer of the year, South Africa | 2018
- Legal 500 Ranking – Patents | 2019
- MIP – IP Stars: Patents | 2017 – 2020
- Who’s Who Legal Ranking – Patents | 2017 – 2020
- Alexis has been internationally recognised in several peer-selected reviews. He is an active member of the International Bar Association, AIPPI and is a member of FICPI. He has been cited in peer review publications such as IAM’s Patent 1000 2015: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners; Who’s Who Legal – Patents 2015 and Finance Monthly Global Awards 2014 – Litigation Lawyer, South Africa.