Dr. Charleen RupnarainSenior Associate | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Patents: Drafting, Filing & Prosecution
Charleen Rupnarain is a senior associate in the Patents Department at Adams & Adams. She holds a PhD in Cancer Genetics and an LLB degree. Charleen is an admitted attorney of the South African High Court and a qualified Patent Attorney.
Charleen specialises in Biotechnology and Life Science-related patent matters. She has a solid background in Intellectual Property Management in the public funding sector. In prosecution, her key South African clients include the University of Pretoria, the CSIR and the University of Kwazulu-Natal. Charleen is also active in prosecuting patent applications filed by international clients in Africa, particularly in the jurisdictions of ARIPO, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Botswana, Ghana and Kenya.
Charleen is a member of the Licensing Executives Society, a member of the South African Research and Innovation Management Association and a fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law.
- LLB – University of South Africa | 2014
- PhD (Phil) – University of Witwatersrand | 2009
- MSc (Cum Laude) – University of Witwatersrand | 2005
- BSc Hons (Biological Science) – University of Natal | 2002
- Registered Patent Attorney | 2016
- Admitted Attorney of the Hight Court of South Africa | 2016
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) – Member
- South African Research and Innovation Management Association (SARIMA) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member