Colin MacKenziePartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Industrial Designs
Colin MacKenzie’s involvement with intellectual property law spans almost four decades. Colin qualified as a mechanical engineer in 1982 and worked for a company specialising in the design and manufacture of military equipment.
In 1984 Colin joined Adams and Adams and qualified as a patent attorney in 1989. Colin’s primary areas of practice relate to the drafting, filing and prosecution of patent and registered design applications both locally and abroad. His areas of specialty are mechanical engineering and the nuclear industry. More recently he has also been involved in assisting foreign based clients with the management of their patent and design portfolios in other African countries.
Colin was the chairman of the Patent Department of Adams & Adams and served on the management committee of the firm for about fifteen years.
Colin is a member of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law and has served on the Council and as the president of this organisation. He has also served as a lecturer and an examiner for the Patent Board exams in the subject “Drafting of Patent Specifications”. Colin is still very active in the training of young professionals entering the profession.
- BProc – University of South Africa | 1987
- BSc Eng (Mech) – University of Witwatersrand | 1982
- Admitted Attorney | 1989
- Registered Patent Attorney | 1989
- Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) – Member
- International Federation of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- South African Research & Innovation Management Association (SARIMA) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: Patent & Design Law Committee Member
- SAIIPL: Constitution Code of Ethics Committee Member
- SAIIPL: Examiner in the “Drafting of Patent Specifications” Examination | 1999-2000
- The International Pat-Got Association – Member
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Prosecution | 2019 – 2021