Danie DohmenPartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
Plant Breeders’ Rights:
- Exchange Control
- Licensing & Distribution
- Plant Breeder’s Rights
- IP Commercialisation
Danie Dohmen is a partner at Adams & Adams in the patent litigation section. He specialises in patent, design, plant breeder’s rights and intellectual property agreement litigation, commercialisation and opinion work. Danie has for a number of consecutive years been ranked in tier 1 for patent litigation in South Africa.
Danie holds a BSc degree in physics and chemistry and an LLB degree. He is admitted and registered as an attorney of the South African High Court, a patent attorney and a notary public.
Danie is a director and president of the Licensing Executives Society of South Africa, a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association as well as the American Bar Association and a fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law. He is further a lecturer and examiner for the Patent Examination Board of South Africa.
Danie represents multinational and national clients in a diversity of fields, including pharmaceutical, agriculture, agro-chemical, mining, manufacturing, transport, security and safety. Danie further acts in multi-jurisdictional patent and design litigation in several African countries.
Danie has litigated a number of cases to the South African Court of Appeal and the Constitutional Court. Many of his matters are reported and are considered leading patent law cases. Danie has represented parties in cases which set the current South African law on issues of inventiveness, clarity, interim interdicts in patent infringements, contributory patent infringement, the role of public interest in interim interdicts on patents for life saving drugs, evidentiary requirements to prove patent infringement and requirements for divisional patent applications.
Danie also plays an active role in IP policy issues on a national and international level and has represented national and foreign manufacturing groups in both national and international meetings, workshops and seminars on IP policy.
- LLB – Formerly Randse Afrikaanse Universiteit now University of Johannesburg | 1996
- BSc (Physics & Chemistry) – Formerly Randse Afrikaanse Universiteit now University of Johannesburg |1993
- Notary of the High Court of South Africa (TPD) | 2004
- Registered Patent Attorney | 2002
- Admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa (TPD) | 1998
- International Licensing and Technology Transfer: Practice and the Law (South African chapter) (Co-author) | 2015 – 2020
- Practitioner’s Guide to Intellectual Property Law (South Africa) (Co-author) | 2011
- Thomson Reuters, Life Sciences Multi-jurisdictional Guide (South Africa) (Co-author) | 2014 – 2019
- Various published news articles
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) – Member
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- Licensing Executives Society (LES South Africa) – Board Member and President
- The American Bar Association (ABA) – Member
- The South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: Plant Breeders’ Rights Committee Member
- Best Lawyers® – Intellectual Property Law – South Africa | 2017 – 2021
- Chambers Global – Patents (Band 3) | 2011 – 2021
- IAM Patent 1000 – Global IP Leaders: Private Practice | 2020
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Litigation | 2012 – 2021 (Gold)
- IAM250 – The World’s Leading Patent Litigators: South Africa, Tier 1 | 2011
- IFLR – Patent Expert Guide: Experts for Patents | 2019
- Leaders in Law Global Awards – Patents Expert of the Year in South Africa | 2021
- Managing Intellectual Property, 19th Edition: South Africa, Tier 1 | 2012
- MIP – IP Stars: Patents | 2015 – 2021
- Who’s Who Legal – Patents | 2014 – 2021
- WIPR LEADERS – Trade Mark & Patent Directory | 2018 – 2021