Dr. Danie StrachanPartner | Commercial Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Consumer Protection
- Corporate Matters
- Data Protection & Privacy
- Employment & Labour Law
- Exchange Control
- Gambling & Lotteries
- Inward Investment
- Licensing & Distribution
- Advertising Law Services
- Company Secretarial Services
Danie’s clients range from entrepreneurs and technology start-ups to well-known multi-nationals. He regularly drafts and reviews agreements needed for clients’ operations and to grow their businesses. Danie also assists clients in relation to mergers and acquisitions.
Due to his background in intellectual property law, Danie is in a unique position to advise clients regarding the commercialisation of intellectual property, and licensing and franchising in particular. He has provided legal guidance to numerous foreign franchisors in relation to their expansion into South Africa and other parts of the African continent. He also assists clients with the drafting of franchise agreements and related documentation.
Compliance is another of Danie’s focus areas. He often assists clients in understanding the regulatory environment. In particular, he provides advice on consumer protection as well as data protection and privacy, a burgeoning practice area in South Africa.
Danie frequently presents talks and workshops on consumer protection, data protection and other regulatory topics. He regularly writes press articles regarding these topics and has been interviewed on radio numerous times.
Danie is a member of the Legal Practice Council. He holds a Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Pretoria.
- LLD (Doctor of Laws) – University of Pretoria | 2016
- LLB (cum laude) – University of Pretoria | 2003
- Admitted Notary Public | 2008
- Qualified Trade Mark Practitioner | 2007
- Admitted Attorney | 2006
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) – Member
- Who’s Who Legal – Franchising | 2017 – 2020
- Who’s Who Legal – Sports and Entertainment |2017 – 2018