Jac MaraisPartner | Commercial Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Jac is a litigation and dispute resolution specialist.
He represents and advises clients in multifaceted litigation (including arbitration and mediation) in the following fields:
- Administrative (public law), constitutional law, and regulatory law.
- Commercial Litigation (local and international) in respect of contractual rights, governance, shareholder disputes, director’s liability, contractual disputes as well as class action litigation.
- Competition law, including applications for merger approval to the Competition Commission and Competition Tribunal, and all Competition Law related litigation, including follow-on damages claims.
- Commissions of Enquiry (local and international).
- Fraud investigations and follow on litigation.
He has represented and advised clients in a variety of forums, including:
- the Constitutional Court
- the Supreme Court of Appeal
- the Competition Appeal Court
- the Competition Tribunal
- the Competition Commission
- the Tax Appeal Court
- the Labour Appeal Court
- the Labour Court
- the High Court
- local and international arbitration tribunals
- arbitration appeal tribunals
- commissions of enquiry (including the Arms Deal Enquiry and the State Capture Enquiry);
- the Public Protector
- the Commercial Crimes Court
- the Press Ombud
- the FSCA, and various other regulatory bodies.
His clients include household local and international firms, as well as various governments, government agencies and departments.
Jac’s experience spans various sectors of the economy, including agriculture, retail, financial services, ICT, defence, energy, construction, transport, health, local and municipal government, and tax.
Jac chairs the commercial, litigation and property department of Adams & Adams and is a member of the firm’s management committee. He is also a director of Adams & Adams Forensic and Investigative Services (Pty) Ltd.
- Presents annual lectures in Competition Law at the University of Pretoria | 2014 – Present
- Postgraduate Diploma in European Competition Law – University of London, King’s College | 2012
- Advanced Certificate in Competition Law – University of Witwatersrand | 2008
- LLB – University of Stellenbosch | 2006
- BA – University of Stellenbosch | 2004
- Admitted Attorney | 2009
- Administrative Justice Association of South Africa (ADJASA) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- Institute of Forensic Commercial Practitioners (ICFP) – Member
- International Bar Association (IBA) – Member
- Pretoria Attorneys Association (PAA) – Member
- South African Council of Shopping Centres (SACSC) – Member