James DaviesPartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Drafting, Filing & Prosecution
- Searches & Opinions
- Filing & Prosecution
James is a patent attorney with an electronic and computer background, with a genuine interest in these things, and all things technological. James works in the patent department, mainly assisting local clients in filing and prosecution of patent and design applications in South Africa and indeed all over the world.
James’s technical qualification is electronic engineering (from the University of Pretoria) and he focuses on the somewhat nebulous area of software-implemented inventions, but routinely deals with electrical and mechanical inventions and industrial designs. James also excels at patent searching, whether novelty searches prior to filing patent applications, validity searches after filing, or freedom-to-operate searches to safeguard commercial implementation.
James is focused on improving systems and processes internally within Adams & Adams, having active involvement in the IT committee and also being involved with, and advising on, the implementation of the South African Patent Office’s e-filing service for patent and design applications.
- LLB – University of Pretoria | 2003
- BEng (Electronic) – University of Pretoria | 2000
- Registered Patent Attorney | 2008
- Admitted Attorney | 2006
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- Licencing Executives Society (LES) – Member
- SA Research & Innovation Management Association (SARIMA) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: IT Liaison Committee Member
- SAIIPL: Patent & Design Law Committee Member
- SAIIPL: Public Affairs Sub-Committee Member – Judgement Reporting Group
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Prosecution | 2019 – 2020
- Legal 500 – Recommended IP Practitioner | 2018