Janice GalvadPartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
Filing and prosecution of South African Patent and Design applications for foreign clients.
Janice is the Chairperson of the Patent Department at Adams & Adams, a partner and patent attorney. She has been a Partner at the firm since 2004. She holds a master’s degree in Commercial Law, and as senior partner, has a shared responsibility to head-up the department at Adams & Adams responsible for filing and prosecuting to grant patent and design applications on instruction from clients outside of South Africa.
Janice heads up a team of 33 people, all dedicated to delivering an exceptional service at a competitive price. Janice has recruited and trained a team, representative of the South African demographic, committed and working to world-class standards for Fortune 500 clients. Janice counts amongst her achievements the upskilling of previously disadvantaged staff and of secretarial trainees (from the Adams & Adams training school) to occupy vital positions within this team, engendering empowerment, and championing diversity.
As head of the department responsible for the largest patent portfolio in South Africa, Janice promotes best management practices, and a dedication to best practice efficiencies, passing on the benefits to clients of the Firm. She is the client relationship partner for a number of high-profile, international clients.
- LLM (Commercial Law) – University of South Africa | 2002
- LLB – University of South Africa | 1999
- BSc (General) – University of the Witwatersrand | 1992
- Registered Patent Attorney | 2004
- Admitted Attorney | 2001
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) – Member
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals | 2017 – 2018
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Prosecution | 2017 – 2021