Johan du PreezPartner | Trade Mark Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Searches, Filing & Prosecution
- Franchising (South Africa)
Johan specialises in Intellectual Property Protection in South Africa and African with particularly expertise in all areas of Trade Mark Law, from brand creation, clearance searches; local, African and overseas trademark filings strategies, filing for the protection through the entire process to registration and certain areas of the practice including the running of maintenance programs to commercialization and licensing of intellectual property.
He particularly enjoys advising new start-up business, or businesses adopting a new focus, such as exporting or inline product extensions on how to go about it in especially South Africa and Africa. He is able to leverage off his relationships with associates all around the globe to ensure that he gets the best advice in a particular country, as well as the best price for the client.
Johan also works with a large network of associates in various legal and intellectual property practices throughout the world.
He is a qualified South African attorney and has been practising in this area of law since 1986.
Johan speaks Afrikaans and English and can understand a number of African languages.
Johan is one of two South African delegates of LESI and due to his involvement with LESI (Licensing Executive Society International), he was the President of the South African chapter from 2000–2002 and again from 2009–2011, he also served as legal advisor to the South African Small Business Chamber.
- LLB – Randse Afrikaanse Universiteit | 1981
- Admitted Attorney | 1986
- Registered Trade Mark Practitioner (SAIIPL)
- Honorary Member of USA/Canada Chapter of Licensing Executives Society International
- Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ItalCham) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- Licensing Executives Society (LES South Africa) – Board Member
- Licensing Executives Society International (LESI) – International Delegate
- Licensing Executives Society – President of the South African Chapter | 2000 – 2002 and 2009 – 2011
- Licensing Executives Society International (LESI) – Co-Chair of the Trade Mark, Copyright, Design and Merchandising Committee
- Licensing Executives Society International (LESI) – Member of the Awards Committee
- Advisor to the NSBC (National Small Business Council)
- Best Lawyer – Intellectual Property Law: South Africa |2017 – 2020
- LESI – Awarded the LESI Service Recognition Certificate | 2018
- Who’s Who – Trade Mark Lawyers | 2010 – 2019