Louis van der WaltPartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Drafting, Filing & Prosecution
- Plant Breeders’ Rights
- Drafting, Filing & Prosecution
Louis van der Walt is a partner in, and past Chairman of, the Patent Department of Adams & Adams and advises clients in relation to the preparation and filing of patent applications, registered design applications and plant breeders’ rights. Louis was awarded a B.Eng (Chemical) degree cum laude after completing his studies at the University of Pretoria in 1989. He worked for four years in industry as a chemical engineer involved with the operation and optimisation of plants for the production of nitric acid, ammonium nitrate and limestone ammonium nitrate, whilst studying towards his law degree part time. He served his articles at Adams & Adams, obtained his law degree from the University of South Africa in 1994 and was admitted as an attorney in 1997, in the same year also being registered as a patent attorney.
Louis works with clients ranging from individuals and small start-up companies to large corporations, universities and research institutions. He has extensive experience in many jurisdictions, built up over more than two decades, in filing and prosecuting patent applications, particularly in the petrochemicals field, registered design applications and plant breeders’ rights applications, although most of his plant breeders’ rights work relates to South African applications and applications in other African countries filed on behalf of foreign applicants. Louis was president of the South African National Association of FICPI and served on the Patent Law committee of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law. He still serves on the Plant Breeders’ Rights committee of the Institute. Louis has also served as lecturer for two of the subjects administered by the South African Patent Examination Board and still serves as moderator for one SAPEB subject. He also lectures on Plant Breeders’ Rights to students taking the LLM module on Intellectual Property, New Technologies and Innovation of the University of Pretoria.
Louis has on a number of occasions been recognised as one of the world’s leading patent professionals in the IAM Patent 1000 publication, and is regularly included in the MIP IP Stars publication.
Louis is a member of the South African Institution of Chemical Engineers, the Legal Practice Council and the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI). He is also a fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL).
- BProc – University of South Africa | 1994
- BEng (Chemical) Cum Laude – University of Pretoria | 1990
- Admitted Attorney | 1997
- Registered Patent Attorney | 1997
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: Plant Breeders’ Rights Committee Member
- South African Institution of Chemical Engineers – Associate Member
- South African National Association of FICPI – Past President
- IAM Patent 1000 Global Leaders – Private Practice | 2020
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Prosecution (Blue) | 2017 – 2021
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals | 2012 – 2019
- MIP – IP Stars: Patents | 2017 – 2021