Maureen MakokoAssociate | Trade mark Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Trademark Litigation including Passing Off and Unlawful Competition
- Domain Name Disputes
- Company Name Objections
- Trade mark Prosecution: Local trade mark advice, conducting searches, filings and general prosecution
- Intellectual Property Commercialisation
Maureen is an admitted attorney working in the Trade Mark department. She specialises in trade mark prosecution, brand enforcement as well as litigation which includes name objection, opposition infringement matters. Her practice also includes IP Commercialisation. She studied at the University of Pretoria where she obtained her LLB in 2012 after she joined A&A. She is a President’s Award Gold Award Holder and an active member of the Black Professionals Scholarship Fund which helps students getting into University. Maureen is passionate about uplifting and empowering the youth to reach their true potential by giving motivational talks to young people.
Maureen has been selected as a trailblazer and one of twenty talented women who are paving the way for great achievements in the IP sector. This has been featured in the World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) Influential Women in IP Trailblazer, 2020. The WIPR Influential Women in IP provides a positive focus on the development and progress that women in IP have made in creating, protecting, and securing IP. Maureen was also nominated and participated in the International Visitors Leadership Programme (IVLP) in the United States, representing South Africa. The IVLP affords professionals who are leaders in their respective fields the opportunity to travel on a professional exchange program.
- LLB – University of Pretoria | 2012
- Registered Trade Mark Practitioner (SAIIPL) | 2018
- Admitted Attorney | 2015
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- Johannesburg Attorneys Association (JAA) – Member
- WIPR – Influential Women in IP: Trailblazer | 2020