Russell BagnallPartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Patent, Copyright and Design Litigation
- Drafting of chemical, metallurgical and mineral processing related patent specifications
Russell Bagnall has been a partner at Adams & Adams since 1998 and is head of the patent and design litigation group and was also the Patent Department’s chairman for a number of years. Before joining Adams & Adams, he spent several years employed by a multinational mining house. Russell specialises in patent litigation and opinion work, mainly in the fields of pharmaceuticals and chemistry.
He has advised clients on several contentious issues involving pharmaceutical disputes between multinational and generic companies. He also advises pharmaceutical clients on a wide range of issues, including licence and distribution agreements, co-promotion agreements and regulatory issues.
Russell is also responsible for managing multi-jurisdictional litigation in several African countries. Russell has been internationally recognised in peer-selected reviews such as the International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers and the International Who’s Who of Life Sciences Lawyers. He was ranked in Tier 1 for patent litigation in South Africa by IAM Patent 1000. Adams & Adams has been rated by Managing Intellectual Property in the top tier for patent litigation several times.
Russell is an active member of the South African group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and a member of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys. He is also a fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL). Mr Bagnall obtained a BSc in engineering in the branch of Metallurgy and Materials Minerals Process Engineering from the University of Witwatersrand in 1989 and a BProc. from the University of South Africa in 1995.
- BProc – University of South Africa | 1995
- BSc Eng (Metallurgy and Materials Minerals Process Engineering) – University of Witwatersrand | 1989
- Qualified Patent Attorney | 1997
- Admitted Attorney | 1997
- Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) – Member
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council – Member
- Pretoria Attorneys Association (PAA) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- Author: Getting the Deal Through – Patents – South African Chapter | 2013
- Best Lawyers® – Intellectual Property Law: South Africa |2019 – 2021
- Chambers Global Guide Legal Rankings – Patents (Band 1) | 2016 – 2021
- I AM Patent 1000 – Global Leaders: Private Practice | 2020
- IAM Patent 1000 – Individuals: Patent Litigation | 2019 – 2021 (Gold)
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals | 2017 – 2020
- IFLR Patent Expert Guide – Experts for Patents | 2019
- Legal 500 – Patents | 2019
- Legal 500 – Recommended Lawyers: Intellectual Property | 2018, 2020, 2021
- MIP – IP Star: Patents | 2017 – 2021
- Who’s Who Legal Ranking: Patents | 2016 – 2021
- Who’s Who Legal Ranking: Life Sciences | 2016 – 2017
- WIPR – WIPR Leaders: Chemicals & Patents | 2019 – 2020
- WIPR – Trade Mark & Patent Directory | 2017