Sophia SmallbonesSenior Associate | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Patent, Design and Copyright Litigation
- Opinion work, agreements and drafting and prosecution of patent applications
Sophia is a qualified patent attorney and an associate in Adams & Adams’ patent litigation department. She holds BSc Chemical Engineering (with Honours) and LLB degrees, both obtained from the University of Cape Town. Sophia is primarily involved litigation matters in the fields of patents, designs and copyright law. Her litigation work ranges from pre-litigation work such as preparing opinions on infringement and validity, associated freedom to operate and validity searches, recordals of licences and assignments and formulation of litigation strategy to drafting of court documents for court proceedings which include applications for interim and final injunctions, security for costs applications, Anton Piller applications, infringement actions and appeals to liaising with court officials, patent office officials and clients to ensure litigation runs smoothly without unnecessary delays.
Sophia advises on and prepares and manages the firms applications for restoration of lapsed patents and designs and ensures they are seen to a final end. She is also involved in prosecution work and has experience in the preparation and prosecution of local and foreign patent and design applications, responses to office actions and advising on and amending patent specifications.
- LLB – University of Cape Town | 2012
- BSc Hons (Chemical Engineering) – University of Cape Town | 2009
- Registered Patent Attorney | 2014
- Admitted Attorney | 2015
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- Southern African Research & Innovation Management Association (SARIMA) – Member