Stephen HollisPartner | Trade Mark Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Brand protection, enforcement, and commercialization.
- Rights management and enforcement.
- Deal structuring with respect to content production and commercialization.
I am an Intellectual Property (IP) lawyer who advises local and international clients on brand protection and enforcement strategies with a specific focus on the African market.
I am also a copyright and entertainment law expert, who is passionate about the arts and the protection and advancement of the rights of creatives and vulnerable cultural communities, especially in the digital space. I advise the full spectrum of participants in the creative and copyright industries, including the music, publishing, film, television, animation, audio-visual, dramatic arts and other industries, on rights management and enforcement and content production, commercialization and related deal structuring.
I am a Fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL); a registered Trade Mark Practitioner, and a member of SAIIPL’s Copyright and International Treaties Committees.
I am a member of the Africa IP Group of Adams & Adams where I often become involved in the development and implementation of business strategies for the African market. I frequently travel to other African countries to engage with government officials on legislative and local IP practice issues and to present at IP conferences hosted by WIPO, ARIPO and other organisations.
- LLB – University of South Africa | 2006
- MCSE certification (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) | 1997
- BA – Stellenbosch | 1994
- Registered Trade Mark Practitioner| 2012
- Admitted Attorney | 2009
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: Copyright Law Committee Member
- SAIIPL: International Treaties Committee Member