Steven YeatesPartner | Trade Mark Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Trade Mark Searching, Filing and Prosecution
- Trade Mark Portfolio Management
- Trade Mark Litigation
- Copyright Litigation
- Advertising Regulatory Board Complaints and labelling Advise
- Domain Names Disputes
- Intellectual Property related aspects of E-commerce and Information
Steven Yeates is a Cape Town-based partner in the Trade Mark Department.
Steven advises clients on all issues relating to trade mark selection, searching, registration and enforcement. He is actively involved in creating, implementing and managing trade mark portfolios, enforcement programmes and management strategies, on behalf of our international and local clients in a number of African countries. He regularly advises clients in relation to copyright disputes and has a vast amount of experience relating to anti-counterfeiting operations and strategies. His key clients include Woolworths, Foschini Retail Group, Cape Union Mart, Shoprite Checkers, Fairview, KWV, Discovery Channel, Clicks Retailers, Oceana Group, Home Box Office and Burger King.
Steven is a co-author of the Practitioner’s Guide to Intellectual Property Law in South Africa, published by LexisNexis and has been listed on an ongoing basis as one of the World’s Leading Trade Mark Professionals in the WTR 1000 since 2011.
Steven holds BCom and LLB degrees from the University of Johannesburg and is a qualified attorney and trade mark practitioner. He is a member of the Legal Practice Council as well as a fellow of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL). Steven is a past member of Anti-counterfeiting Committee and Trade Mark Law Committee of the SAIIPL.
- LLB – Rand Afrikaans University | 2000
- BCom – Rand Afrikaans University | 1998
- Qualified Trade Mark Practitioner (SAIIPL)| 2003
- Admitted Attorney | 2002
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property (SAIIPL) – Past member of Anti-counterfeiting committee and Trade Mark Law committee |2010 – 2016
- Chambers Global – Trademarks: Band 4 | 2019 – 2021
- Who’s Who Legal – Trade Marks | 2019 – 2021
- WTR 1000 – Individuals: Anti-counterfeiting | 2014, 2016
- WTR 1000 – Individuals: Enforcement and Litigation| 2018 – 2021