Vishen PillayPartner | Patent Attorney
Areas of Specialisation
- Drafting patent specifications (particularly in the fields of electronic, mechanical and software related inventions)
- Filing and prosecuting local and foreign patent applications
- Filing and prosecuting local and foreign industrial design applications
- Patent searches and competitive analyses
Vishen Pillay is a partner in the patent department. He has a background in electronic engineering (UKZN) and is an admitted attorney and patent attorney.
Vishen has 11 years of post-qualification experience in IP and specialises in assisting his clients to protect their inventions in the fields of electronics including telecommunications ranging from classical to quantum communication, electrical engineering, computer software including artificial intelligence and machine learning, mechanical engineering, electro-mechanical engineering, and bio-medical engineering. In particular, he deals with all matters relating to filing and prosecution of patent and design applications in South Africa and abroad, as well as IP strategy.
Vishen has drafted and prosecuted patent and design applications on behalf of many South African Universities, Science Councils, US Fortune 500, and South African Top 100 companies.
In 2016, Vishen was hand-picked by the South African Minister of Science & Technology, at the time, to sit on the National Intellectual Property Management Office (NIPMO) Advisory Board for a period of 5 years. In addition, he is the co-chair of the American Intellectual Property Law Association’s (AIPLA) Africa Committee.
Vishen currently serves as one of the Partners on the Management Committee of Adams & Adams.
- LLB – University of South Africa | 2008
- BSc Eng (Elec.) – University of Kwazulu-Natal | 2004
- Admitted Attorney | 2009
- Registered Patent Attorney | 2009
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) – Member and Co-chair of the Africa Committee
- International Federation of Patent Agents (FICPI) – Member
- Legal Practice Council (LPC) – Member
- South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) – Fellow
- SAIIPL: Patent & Design Law Committee
- Southern African Research & Innovation Management Association (SARIMA) – Member
- Best Lawyers® – Intellectual Property Law – South Africa | 2021
- IFLR Patent Expert Guide – Experts for Patents | 2019