The Covid-19 pandemic has taken its took its toll on many marriages, with the divorce rate climbing to unusually high rates. unusual heights. Family Law lawyers have been inundated with divorce queries since lockdown levels were relaxed loosened their tight grip and couples have subsequently had chance to seek legal advice a.
Divorce is especially difficult when there are children involved, as much preparation an d discussion needs to be done to ensure the wellbeing of these children before going ahead with divorce proceedings. These discussions can take place prior to the divorce proceedings, should the situation between two parents be amicable, however if this is not the case discussions can take place in the presence of a lawyer, who will act as a mediator and advisor.
Divorce Preparation Questions
Ideally , couples will amicably discuss and agree on certain terms before approaching a lawyer. The types of questions that will need to be answered include:
- Who will have primary custody of the child/children?
- What visitation rights will the other parent have?
- Will you prepare a parenting plan? If so, what will it include?
- Which parent will pay child support, how much will the payments be, and when will the payments end?
- What other payments will each parent be responsible for? These include ad hoc payments like school uniforms, extra-curricular activities, etc.
Other questions include:
- What are your marital assets and marital debts?
- How will these be split so that it is fair for both parties?
Divorce Lawyers Near Me: Finding the Right Fit
Finding a divorce lawyer that will assist you every step of the way through this challenging time is important. The divorce lawyer should help you through the process as well as assist you to understand u understand all the legal terms associated with divorce.
Your attorney can affect the outcome of your divorce, Make sure you have the correct team behind you when making this decision. The Adams & Adams family law team have extensive experience in dealing with all family and matrimonial matters.
Adams and Adams Divorce Lawyers
We can assist with the following matters in divorce:
- Assistance in reaching amicable settlements through negotiation and support
- Rule 43 applications for interim relief
- Mediation in family law disputes
- Divorces, divorce mediation and divorce negotiation
- Enforcement of orders relating to family law matters
- Parental responsibilities and rights including guardianship, care and contact
- Children’s rights
The specialised family law team at Adams & Adams (Shani van Niekerk, Senior associate and Courtney Elson, associate) are equipped to assist with both opposed and unopposed divorces and ensure that each matter is considered on its own merits. Contact our experts for more information.”””45727″”45730″