On 15th November 2022 His Excellency President Mokgweetsi Masisi formally launched Botswana’s first ever National Intellectual Property Policy (BIPP), under the theme “Harnessing IP for Economic Transformation”.
The BIPP was developed with the assistance of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), and focuses on six interrelated stated as follows:
- to improve the IP governance framework for promoting the protection of IP rights;
- to facilitate availability and access to financing for IP generation, acquisition and commercialization;
- to promote IP awareness, education and training;
- to effectively negotiate IP Agreements for the benefit of Botswana;
- to develop entrepreneurship capacities in selected IP- driven implementation sectors; and
- to create appropriate institutional structures for IP development.
ARIPO’s Director General, Bemanya Twebaze, also commended Botswana on the launch of the policy and the country’s intention to move towards fostering creativity and innovation of economic growth and development.
For any information or queries in this regard, please contact email@example.com