Draft regulations to the Protection, Promotion, Development, and Management of Indigenous Knowledge Act (“Act”) have been published by the Department of Science and Innovation for public comment in Government Gazette 47453 on 4 November 2022.
The Act was signed into law in August 2019. The primary goals of the Act being for the protection, promotion, development and management of national indigenous knowledge and for the establishment and functions of the National Indigenous Knowledge Systems Office (“NIKSO”).
The draft Regulations focus on:
- establishment and functions of an Advisory Panel;
- recognition of prior learning, accreditation of indigenous knowledge ‘Assessors’ and the designation of certified indigenous knowledge practitioners;
- creating a register of indigenous knowledge by NIKSO;
- appointment of a dispute resolution committee; and
- proposed offenses and penalties
Written comments or representations are invited on or before 4 February 2023 to the Director-General, Department of Science and Innovation, Private Bag X894, Pretoria, 0001.